Camping tips and advice on buying a tent and more for an enjoyable outdoor adventure.
Determine the Purpose of the Tent
- If being used for family camping – consider comfort, space and ventilation
- If backcountry camping – consider weight, size and durability
Determine Type of Material
- Polyester withstands extended exposure to the sun
- Nylon is lighter weight
- Canvas is durable but very heavy
Determine the Style
- Cabin tents are big with high ceilings and large windows. Multi-room models are available.
- Dome tents are smaller, stable and better in varying weather conditions. They are easy to setup and take down
Determine the Size and Weight
- What type of activity
- How many people
- How much gear to store in tent
- Tent sizes do not include room for gear storage. Consider purchasing a larger tent for this purpose
Consider Ease of Setup
- Color coding is helpful
Consider the Poles
- Quality is important
- Fiberglass poles are durable
- Aluminum poles are lightweight
Consider Quality of Other Features
- Stitching and seams
- Window and Door mesh
- Tie Downs
Consider the Weather
- Waterproof/water resistant
- Use a full coverage rain fly
- Consider a quality ground cloth for under your tent to protect the floor and to keep it drier and cleaner. This should be the same shape as your tent and slightly smaller.
See the Camp Store for our selection of tents and tent accessories
These tips are suggestions only and are meant to be helpful to our readers. Tips should be used at readers own discretion.