As you already know, bugs are a huge problem with any outdoor activities. Mosquitoes, black flies and other pesky insects can be very annoying as they swarm and bite causing much itching and discomfort. There is no one solution that works all the time but here are a few tips to help keep the bugs away.
- Stay away from wet, grassy areas.
- Avoid using fragrant or scented personal products.
- Wear light colored long sleeve shirts and pants.
- Wear a hat and a bandanna on your head and neck.
- Keep cool – bugs are attracted to sweat.
- Traditional bug repellent – most contain DEET as the active ingredient against bugs. Use this sparingly. This chemical may be harmful and should not be used on children.
- Sunscreen/insect repellant – this may have a lower concentration of DEET.
- Avon Skin So Soft – tests don’t prove this but many insist that it works.
- Citronella candles and oil – helps keep mosquitoes out of the area.
- Head Nets – keeps bugs away from your head and face.
- Garlic – it will secrete through your pours.
- Zinc or Vitamin B – also secretes through your pours.
- Citrus – deters the bugs.
- Coconut soap and coconut oil – repels mosquitoes.
Share your secret for keeping those bugs away
Visit our Camp Store
These tips are suggestions only and are meant to be helpful to our readers. Tips should be used at readers own discretion.
One Reply to “Keeping the Bugs Away”
To minimize the itiching of a mosquito bite use Vick vapour rub. We tried it once while camping it work great!!