Many of you have probably used pie irons before. They are those long-handled double sided cast iron cookers. There is an infinite number of ingredients that you can use with your pie irons. Experimenting is a lot of fun! You start by opening your iron up and lying a slice of buttered bread on each side (buttered side against the iron). You just add your favorite ingredients, close up the iron and cook on both sides over the campfire. Rotate sides to avoid burning. Your bread will be golden brown when it’s done. Cooking time will vary depending on the ingredients – about a minute or two is common.
The following are some favorite ingredients to try. Email us your recipes.
- Pizza – pizza sauce, cheese, selection of your favorite precooked meat toppings, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, onions etc.
- Fruit Pies – use any fruit topping
- Sloppy Joes – precooked ground beef and seasoning mix
- BBQ Pork – precooked shredded pork and BBQ sauce
- Omelets – one egg and your favorite toppings cooked on one side of the iron
- Grilled Cheese – add cheese (maybe even some ham)
- Cheeseburger – precooked hamburger, topped with a slice of cheese
- Meat Pie – hamburger, onions, potatoes and carrots, seasoning – precooked
- Chili – prepared chili and cheese
Visit our Camp Store